Monday, May 15, 2017

Arts and Crafts Room

Some months ago Dave started playing around with drawing, using my art supplies, mainly colored pencils, with surprisingly good results! He had never sketched or drawn anything before, but time and insomnia gave him patience and now I am encouraging him with a studio of his own.
For Mother's Day I took my Joann's coupon (for 40% off my entire purchase) and got him paints, mediums, a palette and canvas paper (to experiment on, sans fear of stretched canvases). Then went to Target to get this indoor/outdoor carpet which can be hosed off when needed. This room gets a lot of traffic to the screened porch and patio, so we are instilling the habit of removing our shoes, except for the dogs.
The room is equipped with his stereo and a few guitars, plus a rolling cart for storing and drying canvases. I intend to give him tips on oil painting, which is the easiest of all paints for beginning, imho.
The ceiling has a central light and recessed lights all around for shadow free creating. Let's hope the paint stays on the canvas...

In other news, the new quilt is on the bed, just for photos. I'm kinda liking the center strip of patchwork. 





6 comments:

  1. Terrific Arts & Crafts room, and I LOVE the center patchwork strip on the quilt. I wish I was as brave as you are...8-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave can draw!!! How cool is that? And good for you for getting him a studio all set up for working. Hope he continues to pursue the painting and drawing. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great room set up!! Lucky Dave. Love the photo of the quilt on the bed, I too think that centre strip is pretty wonderful! The whole quilt is one huge riot of colour and glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great place to create in the Johnson house!! Jealous of the good light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are Johnson's too. 😉 I want you to know that this post was encouraging to me. A health crisis has made me give up things I loved to do. Several people sent me colored pencils. I've never used them. This post gave me the encouragement to try. Your quilts and use of color ( and dogs) is what brought me here in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love is......making a creative room for your husband!

    ReplyDelete