We have a brand new pipe organ at our church and it was placed in a very public spot in the sanctuary, where people and kids gather before sitting in the pews. The keys and stops are an attraction to inquisitive fingers and it was felt that a cover would protect the organ. Two of us sewists were asked to design a cover and my partner in this project sketched out the cover layout. We delayed and delayed and finally got around to starting on it. In the meantime my partner had to go out of town and that left it to me to design the top. Altho suggestions of using many Christian symbols strewn across the width, I wanted a more 'harmonious' design. Rather than use the typical 'Make a joyful noise' I looked for another Bible passage.
I liked this one from Psalms and typed it out in an appropriate font, to copy into 6 1/2" letters. The backing fabric is Kona cotton and is the exact color of our pew cushions, a small miracle. I will line it in another blue cotton, and quilt the letters, and add some symbols in the quilting itself, thus satisfying the request for those symbols.
I used a hand dye painted fabric I made years ago and never found a use for, until now. I fused the back of the fabric and cut out the letters, arranging them in the drop part of the front.
The side drops will be the Alpha and Omega which was suggested several times, and I was happy to find a spot just for them. I used silk shantung for these. The top part of the cover will not have any appliques on it, just quilting.