Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Bead Whamo!

I've only been dinkin' with beady things for a week but suddenly out of the woodwork Bead Enablers have appeared.
Betty S. from our KnitWits group has been offering us beads for months, and foolishly I never paid attention, until now. I brought my friend Mary with me (who is just simultaneously into beading with seedy beads) to Betty's cottage, and was amazed at her hoard  wonderful collection. We were kids in a candy store, only the store was FREE, with a donation to the church for our three bags full. O My!
The following day, my sister Brooke, who knows a thing or ten about making jewelry came with me and she made a haul and taught me a few valuable things about what I still needed to have to make real stuff. As if.
My studio was a mess of clay and parts and jewels until a quick trip to the Big W to get these storage bins. I swear I will not buy any more beads, since the idea was to make them myself from clay. These will be accent pieces. You laugh.
This is my collected treasure from Betty, and below are the measly beads I started with.

Some finished work.
 
 Poly clay knots and two red and two gray beads from Betty, strung on leather string.

 Polyclay beads with glass and shell, strung on leather cord.



3 comments:

  1. Those beads are such a slippery slope....love the direction you are going with them. Enjoy the journey....lol I slid down it many years ago....its now taken over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I have a friend who is an amazing bead artist... I admire her work, but my beads (many that I have had for a long, LONG time!) languish waiting for the rare occasion when I might need an accent for some creation. Isn't it amazing how many different outlets there are for us to explore and enjoy? Happy beading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been beading off and on since high school but mostly seed beads.

    Lately I have been indulging in expensive, self-representing artist lampwork beads. I just haven't figured out what to string them on yet. But I love them. Big and bold is better. Also less time consuming than weaving small seed beads into various shapes and designs.

    ReplyDelete