Saturday, September 14, 2019

Tops to Share

Our Thursday group finally met, after missing a week due to painters in my house. Now my heart's desire, white walls, are done and I am thrilled. Mostly because they fixed all the booboos that were annoying me, and that's a big relief. We had finished blocks to sew together and in less than an hour, after eating our snacks and catching up, we assembled this top, which was #3 in the voting. This is a very scrappy version of Delectable Mountains, but still, it looks pretty darn good, if I say so myself. We did have some matching up problems (mostly me) and they eventually got fixed, so none's the wiser. It is huge. About 56 x 96". Someone said, it's a quilt for a tall gal. Ha!
To refresh your memory...we began with two 10 inch blocks and sewed them 1/4" along either side of the diagonal line. Cut them in half and then in fourths, and reassembled. That was the very easy part. Had we considered contrast a bit more than we did, the design would be more evident. O well. 
Speaking of contrast...The Tuesday group blocks are done and I have half sewn in strips and on the board ready to add to the main already sewn set. The red and white hourglass blocks really define this simple two block quilt, proving that you don't have to be fussy to be dramatic.
  We have just about used up all of our light prints and that means we are itching to buy fabric to supplement our design ideas. This must be prevented! We must use our creativity to make quilts with what is plentiful in the stash. I am certain it can be done.

8 comments:

  1. just as I am certain that I could mail you a box of lights....... repro or a tad more modern.... I don't have modern..... I find myself telling folks about the over 70 gals deciding to use up their stash.... but I don't say it where my kids can hear..... they still will have to deal with my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another comment...... I am getting an AccGo for xmas from said kids.... shush it is a surprise.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. So GLAD to see these recent posts...you've been deeply missed! Your quilts and the colors always inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see your return to the blog. Love what you and your friends are doing, a wonderful project combining sewing, using up the stash, friendship and generosity! I always say I will sew from my stash but end up buying to supplement. Combining stashes would definitely help along with resolve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way this quilt turned out. I wonder if anyone else sees a heart up in the top left corner. I too am glad to see you blogging again. I am watching and gleaning ideas. At 85 I am also working on using up my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another lovely colour burst in this post, pleased you sorted out the Delectable Mountains top it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you all are trying your best to use the fabric you have. These look wonderful and I cant help but admire how the fabrics all work together..

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to see you are back to blogging! Please keep it going if only once a month of nothing exciting is happening. But wow, what you folks are doing is amazing! These quilts could also be raffled off and money given to charities. Rotate charities chosen by each participant. Lovely work and what a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete