Monday, February 3, 2020

Another QAYG Method????




I could have said, "Wait there's more!" which I wouldn't have imagined, yet here it is, another way to quilt as you go. As I've said a zillion times before, I saw this method on Pinterest and went to the site of the tutorial.
And then to prove it for myself, I had to make a sample. Above is the front of the sample, made from little 5 inch blocks, quilted individually (just the top and batting, no backing fabric) and joined with 1/4" seams, graded at the edges, which is really important and the new idea with this method.  
 The seam is pressed open with steam or in my case a spritz of Faultless Original Hold ($1.98 at Walmart). Then I sewed the four blocks together, ready to add the backing fabric. FYI the batting I used is all cotton with a scrim, and I quilted the blocks with the scrim against the feed dogs. Hopefully this will lessen the amount of batting drifting into the machine, which I am not too worried about, just sayin'.
 The front looks flawless, if I do say so myself. No lumps or bumps which is what I would have expected. REALLY flat. Yay!!
I think I am ready to give this a try on a large scale. Just so you know, the backing fabric is going to be a large sheet and the blocks are going to be basted (pinned?) onto it. Then the quilting is first stitch in the ditch between blocks, and whatever other quilting would be needed to keep the backing from moving around, after that.  These combined five little blocks would be equivalent to one 9.5" block and I would think just a stitch in the ditch at the centers would do.
Note to self: don't use gingham for binding!

 For the record, here are the different methods of Quilt As YOU Go that I have used:
1. From the Fibermania blog via The Quilting Edge. Version I.
2. From this blog, You Gotta Try This. which included version II and version III.
3, And now version IV, here.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the summary of QAYG methods. I'm not really a fan of any of them, but everybody has to try them once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting the QAYG method, I must try it - love the block by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know there's a 12 word phrase you can communicate to your crush... that will induce intense feelings of love and impulsive appeal to you buried inside his chest?

    That's because hidden in these 12 words is a "secret signal" that fuels a man's instinct to love, please and guard you with his entire heart...

    12 Words Will Trigger A Man's Desire Response

    This instinct is so built-in to a man's mind that it will make him work harder than before to love and admire you.

    As a matter of fact, triggering this all-powerful instinct is so mandatory to achieving the best ever relationship with your man that the moment you send your man one of the "Secret Signals"...

    ...You'll instantly find him open his heart and mind to you in a way he never experienced before and he will perceive you as the one and only woman in the world who has ever truly appealed to him.

    ReplyDelete