Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Art Quilt Storage

I have been storing my art quilts, those made with the fusing technique, in rolls, wound around pool noodles, in cotton homemade bags and then in long zippered clear plastic bags recycled from our many defunct patio umbrellas. O I wish I could just buy the bags!  This is a good way to keep the quilts in storage, moveable and uncreased, but the cotton bags inside the plastic bags make the quilts invisible. So when I want to hang a specific quilt, I have to unroll and unroll and unroll until I find the right piece. Usually I lose patience and just hang whatever gets revealed. But now I have a huge walk-in closet and it was time to find and revisit past works, in anticipation of hanging some on my new vacant wall space.
Thinking ahead, I ordered a box of 30 skirt hangers, hoping that would be enough. I had a few hangers already, so when it turned out to be 33 quilts I wasn't caught short. Now that the task has been completed, I can find the appropriate quilt and hang it or them and put away the rest, carefully, back into those bags and store them in the dark and dry garage on racks. I will, I promise, lable the bag with the contents. 

Many of these pieces are from early days, and while at the time they may have seemed innovative, the years have proved they were just OK, and I am not about to bring them out for a reminder of what has transpired.
I'm glad to be able to re-roll them and get them out of my closet again. 
Now, just to be clear, these are all just the fused quilts, and I have bin after bin of pieced quilts, like my entire Bosna series of 9, some of which have never been hung. O how I would love to see them all on the wall in one place. We're gonna need a bigger house for that.  So nevermind.
Yesterday we returned to the previous house to get some things from the garage, which include a ladder, which is needed for these higher walls. So deciding what goes up comes next.

UPdate: Thanks to a dear reader, Nancy, I can buy patio umbrella zippered bags!! Wow, isn't the two way communication from the blog great?






No comments:

Post a Comment