Monday, February 26, 2024

Seed Starting


Here's what I am planting. All the info is on the back of the package. 
 And here is the seed starting tray. Recycled egg shells and egg carton. The front row is where I thought ahead and carefully snipped off the top of the shell, whereas the next row was just the remaining shells when I didn't consider planting in them first.  I have another one and a half dozen eggs in the fridge if these turn out to be a good idea. The potting mix inside came from the bulbs and roots of the other plants I bought, so essentially this is a free exercise. I'll keep you posted on how they do.


 I got these white ceramic pots from church, for free, and popped my elephant ears in them with some water, to encourage rooting. I am already seeing tiny tips of green on the 'nipples' of each of these. 
Speaking of green, I bought an expensive large hosta last year from Lowe's and never planted it at my last house. It got ignored pretty much in the move, but I did bring it along to this house and continued to ignore it, not watering or planting it at all. But to my delight, and just at the right time for my planting enthusiasms, it is popping up with 8, count 'em, 8 sprouts. I will be putting the plant in the ground today. It will get to 74 degrees and be warm all week, including warm nights. ( Yay Tennessee!) Rain is coming, so I am so happy to get my trowel out and dig a bit. 




3 comments:

  1. Hey Melody! I'm so glad to find you again. I followed your blog for years and sure missed you when you switched to instagram. I have wondered the past couple of years about how you and Dave were doing. Please know that you have a warm blog-buddy out here in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a little wooden pot press and I make paper pots with it out of the paper that comes in packages. I like it because it decomposes so when I plant the seedlings their roots aren't disturbed. I just plant them paper and all. Rather than an egg carton I put the little paper pots in a seed tray. I never had any luck planting directly in the tray but using the little paper pots seems to be working great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete