Tuesday, July 21, 2026

#11 and a half

 I thought I was ready to knit a whole sock in multiple patterns and multiple yarns.  I spent the whole day knitting this sock. It fits perfectly which is the nicest thing I can say about it. 
Could it be that I bit off more than I could chew?  I am not in love and really don't want to make the second pair. Is that giving up too early? Won't the second one be an improvement over the first? Perhaps, because the experience will help, but then the first one will always be a reminder of what I messed up. I'm not going to point out the mistakes as they are myriad, on the other hand they may not be visible as you rush by on a speeding horse.

 
They do feel wonderful on the foot. Cozy and soft after the miracle of steam blocking. 

 This sock project was meant to teach me new techniques and to improve my skills. I have learned a lot and now I am not afraid of things that once baffled me. More stitches per inch make a nicer sock, and casting on with magic loop has really made cuff down socks so much easier. Not to mention the cut through afterthought heel which I really love, no more holes at the corners. And best of all sock blockers and steaming are a revolution for the whole process. The finished socks are so soft and drapey after steaming and it's so fast compared to the old way of blocking. 
All that being said...I can always come back and knit the second one, but for now I will start fresh and try to remember that I never saved my homework from school and yet it still helps me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment