Monday, August 3, 2026

Dyeing Yarn part deux

 My new yarn arrived and I set up my dye kitchen again to dye some lighter variegated colors to brighten up my stash. The new yarn base is called Krypton (Superman?) because it is 75% merino and 25% nylon, making it harder wearing, but just as soft.  465 yards per skein. Included in this batch are two solids; purple which looks very light in this pic and seaglass, which is turning out to be my new fave color. 

Then yesterday I tackled the merino-cashmere-nylon yarn called Capretta. It is non-superwash, so no hot hot hot soapy water or lots of fussing. Just gentle movement and lukewarm water. Of course it sets in the microwave just like the others but allowed to cool to room temperature before removing from the dyebath.
 
It just came out of the wash here. By the way, I use shampoo and creme rinse, because wool is hair. It works great, is gentle and effective.
For this yarn which is often referred to as MCN, I took advantage of the July yarn sales driving me nuts on Youtube and looked at this very expensive yarn base on Knit Picks. It usually runs $16.99 per skein. Yipes! The sale price was $6.80...OK!! Here it is hanging up to dry in my hall bath. I can't wait to try a swatch.





Everything I have been dyeing is fingering weight and aimed at sock knitting, since my Sock Project has really been about learning new techniques and improving my skills. But for this MCN I don't plan to knit socks, but instead, shawls, cowls, scarves, and hats. If there is a knit-worthy person who understands how to wash a pair of luxury socks, then I would certainly make them a pair. 


No comments:

Post a Comment