Thursday, July 14, 2016

Antony's Fabrics Arrive!

After an exhaustive online search (45 seconds) I found this great dyer, Antony Jakubowski on Etsy. I have linked him already and you have written him a note (thank you) and he is going to be dyeing 13 colors for us in three values, as soon as he receives the fabrics I requested. Not suprisingly, I couldn't wait and ordered this set of gradations and just got them yesterday. Eeeeeooow! So wonderful! And such a great price, $25 for 8 really fat quarters of Kona. We will NOT be using Kona, as it is a looser weave, but I have my ways of dealing with that issue.  For our purposes, I want to prevent fraying and so have requested a tighter weave and know you will like it better.

I opened the blue first because I need to fuse up a bunch of it to augment my pitifully low blue stack. The pieces seemed rather large for fat quarters, which are usually 18x20". So I measured and yes, they are bigger, 19.25x 21.75".  which reflects the size of Kona, which has a big selvedge. 

I have been asked about storing fused fabrics and luckily I have a good answer.
I keep mine in a drawer, without the paper backing, since I have the room, and roll them up by category. Some are by color, so when I need a red for example, I pull out the roll of red/pink/orange. Others are by dyelot, like the roll with black mixed into the dyes, or pastels, or dye-painted fabrics. I have a drawer for cottons, one for fused silks and one for fused stamped and painted and misc. commercial printed fabrics.
And I invested in a wiggly drawer set from Michael's which holds scraps. I keep my scraps because nothing is too small to use, if it's fused.  As we work, I recommend having a container nearby to control the debris.
Another question was about fusing the fabric and I have that ready for you in this post from my old blog. I have posted a link for future reference on the sidebar of the class site, Focus on Fusing.
++++
While we wait for the new fabrics, I hope you are fusing the dyed fabrics you already have on hand and will be set for the first class online tomorrow. I am so excited to say that we now have 152 participating in the US, Canada, Great Britain, Switzerland, The Netherlands, France, and Germany. Spain too, but she's a Brit. Woowoo!
++++
And if that's not all, one of my favorite fused quilts has sold, Bradford Copse #2;
Bradford Copse #2 | by Melody Johnson Quilts:

 Could I be any happier?

8 comments:

  1. Hi Melody!
    Please add Austria to your list and make it 153 participants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Gabi! I am adding you to the international list! Woowoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Melody - I'm confused about the fabric - are you going to order fabric for all of us and then we buy it from you? Thanks! Glad you got so many people to participate! I love that Bradford Copse quilt you just sold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Melody - I'm confused about the fabric - are you going to order fabric for all of us and then we buy it from you? Thanks! Glad you got so many people to participate! I love that Bradford Copse quilt you just sold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No! Antony is putting the class fabrics on Etsy next week some time and you can buy it from him directly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melody I put this on the other site but thought maybe I should put it here, too. I got my Teflon sheet at Walmart in the baking section. It's black and about "18X"24". Inexpensive. Another fuser told me about them. It works perfectly...in fact, much better than one I had gotten specifically for fusing. That one was kind of stiff so I tossed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melody, I carefully read your post above about your fabrics arriving from Antony...you say they are Kona cotton BUT you add, we will NOT be using KONA cotton...and I don't see silk on Antony's site, nor do I see packets made up. I see individual pieces of Kona.
    Are we going ahead with cotton in order to learn the process or are we supposed to wait for silk? And do we just compile our own packets from his selection of single fat quarters? Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we speak Antony is dyeing fabric especially for us, not Kona, but a finer weave cotton, and making up packs of light, medium and deep, in 13 colors. Wait for silk until later this year. I will announce on the FOF site that the fabric from Antony is ready to order.

      Delete