Monday, March 27, 2017

Already Obsessed


 Over the years I have posted a gazillion garden pictures and while this is my smallest garden ever, I am still going nutso for plants, seeds and dirt. Under the coral bark maple I have a ring of white Mambo petunias, and Riviera Midnight lobelia. But what really gets me excited is the new planting of gallardia, aka Mexican Blanketflower. I keep trying to grow these 'easy perennials' and give up each year that they have died out. I think I know the issue. I'm too nice to them. These are plants pulled up from the alley alongside the drainage ditch. They were growing in nasty clay and never watered.

 I noticed them last summer, thriving in the blazing heat, and on a recent doggie walk I looked to see if they were up and ready to yank. Yes! In the garden they went. 


 The bigger hostas have been transplanted above ground against the back porch wall, and are mulched and ready to take over the space. I also found some dumped Creeping Jenny and put that in the blank spaces by the hosta. I know this will spread and fill in the empty spots.


 In pots I have three bleeding heart plants and one is showing growth. This was a transplant from our last house. Also recurring, a pot of dianthus, hardy cranesbill geranium and beautiful blue lithodora.


The fig got a ring of petunias and lobelias and behind it are planted 36 or so corms of gladiolus. Never planted glads before so we'll see how they do. 

 More hosta in pots. They will no doubt get moved to a shadier spot once the summer heat arrives, in May.

 Two days ago I found a packet from last year, of Pinwheel zinnia seeds and wondered if they would still be viable. So my test is a folded up wet paper towel in a Ziploc bag and VAVOOM! they've sprouted. Into the garden they will go, today.

Zinnia, Pinwheel Mix,:  Future Pinwheels.
 

6 comments:

  1. Always great when it's time to plant again ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You GO, Girl! You are inspiring me to put in a few things this year. Love the pics. Look forward to the progressive pics! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not being a gardener myself, I'm SO ready to watch your garden grow!! What you have already done heralds Spring and gives me a "lift".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not being a gardener myself, I'm SO ready to watch your garden grow!! What you have already done heralds Spring and gives me a "lift".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thrilled to see your gardening pictures especially as we still have snow in our yard in western MA. Julie

    ReplyDelete