Sunday, September 1, 2019

Choosing the Layout

1. Our initial Delectable Mountain blocks were arranged thusly. Perfectly fine, but now we have oodles more to add to the mix and how should we set them? Note that the two joined parts of the block are rectangular rather than square, so orientation is a consideration. Set this way, horizontally, we can increase the width by adding more blocks in the rows and then more rows for added length.

2. With the same blocks turned 90 degrees, the length is greater than the width which might be very helpful in reaching our desired size, 60 x80". And the negative spaces are starting to look like zig zags, Nice, 

 3. The arrangement gives us medallion shapes, and is more than 6o" wide (the length of the 36x60" table) in this layout. 

 4. Similar medallions, arranged horizontally. 

 5. A zigzag is more visible in this setting, but care must be taken to select good contrast, as the design gets lost otherwise.

 6. In this setting, the blocks were arranged in rows with the darker on the bottom and then the next row with lighter on the bottom. Design clarity is still a bit weak with this arrangement. But then again, this is meant to be a scrappy quilt and not a really traditional version.
Please help make our choice and vote for your favorite setting. 

18 comments:

  1. What a fun quilt! I vote for layout 4..... I love the unexpected linear pattern that this layout offers. If I had a second choice it would be layout 6..... looking forward to see what you select!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love that you're back. I love all those quilts your group is making and using up stash. I am 68, so I guess it's time for me to start using up all my stash instead of buying more. Great Ideas! Keep up the good work, ladies. I could use some ideas on where to donate completed quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back!!! I have missed you! My vote is #3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for #3, but who wouldn't be thrilled with any one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m tending towards three. I like it’s contrast, and the pattern it more obviously makes. Great to have you back Melody!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to have you back - I've missed you! I think #3 is good, but #5 is much more interesting! But whatever you do decide on, someone will be thrilled to receive this quilt!
    I'm 68 and I'm working on using up my stash too. Time flies...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My vote is for setting number 1. I made this very same block around 3 or 4 years ago and used a different dominant colour in each row.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am soooo happy to see you back and showing us what quilts you are doing. I have felt like I lost a friend when you stopped posting. lol
    I love making these type of quilts because they are so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. #3 I t am happy to see you posting again, I felt the loss of a friend as well



    ReplyDelete
  10. I like 5. The contrast is most poppy there. Also, Sophie is singing in your church choir now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like #2, but I see I am in the minority, which often happens.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love delectable mountains, but I ALWAYS end up losing the points on the top ones because I dont have a 1/4" seam. Is there a trick to this? And I love #3 layout the best..

    ReplyDelete
  13. All are great but I’ll go with #5 as my favorite.

    ReplyDelete