Sunday, January 17, 2021

Old Dog learns new tricks

 I'm the old dog. at 73, learning a whole new trick to play with color in my knitting! This is so thrilling to me, to be able to make this kind of patterning with multiple yarns, only using one yarn at a time. Yup. The secret is using slipped stitching, also called mosaic knitting. I am so fired up with this new to me technique that I have already begun #2 version of this cowl. The design is inspired by The Shift cowl, but of course I didn't use the pattern, thus restoring (in my own mind) what a Ms. Smarty Pants I am.  Just FYI, the designer Andrea Mowry is an adorable young woman who is making a fortune with her patterns on Ravelry. Yay her! This cowl pattern costs $7 and so far she has sold 7200. You do the math. She has a ton of other patterns which are often found on Pinterest which is where I was dragged kicking and screaming to her Ravelry pages. 


 I made a few personal changes to the stitch design, and didn't do the exact same shaping as the pattern because I wanted to make it bigger and not so fiddly to construct. We all have our fave ways of working. 

 I was happy to be using a variety of differen merino and silk yarns from my stash and found they all worked well together with this dotty and dashy stitch pattern.

Here it is flat, before it is sewn up the back. The short sides are the connected parts. 

 And then here it is sewn. I modeled it for my Dave and he made all the right noises, and remarked, "it's so light!". Um, surprisingly so. 
Available for $65, shipping included. Email me at fibermania at g mail dot com. SOLD


6 comments:

  1. So pretty and very you! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo, Ms. Smarty Pants! I, too was amazed at how lightweight my poncho is, and yet, oh so warm!!

    Joan from Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors in this project are really beautiful. I love the stuff you are doing this winter. No more jewelry making?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know what will catch my enthusiasm tomorrow...or next week. I love all the possibilities available to me.

      Delete
  4. I love slip stitch colorwork- so much easier than having to carry multiple yarns at once! I love your color combos!

    ReplyDelete