Thursday, January 7, 2021

Poncho for Joan


What a day we had Wednesday. My needles were so busy as I listened and watched the news. Thank God it is over. Peace reigns, at least for now.

OK..Back to our regularly scheduled program. 
This poncho: I am beyond pleased with the result of this project. The yarns did all the work. Plymouth Boku  in Key West colorway and Premier Boreal in Tundra. 
Here's a look at the pin included. So many colors are in the poncho and I wanted a bit of brightness and contrast, so I chose these beads to add that pop.

 Here's how I knit this poncho.  Have you knit a mitered square? Here is a video which shows how to make one. https://vimeo.com/6832500
My poncho begins in the middle with two garter stitched strips of vertical stripes, 25 stitches wide. Two rows equal one ridge, so you will knit 85 ridges for one side and 85 ridges for the other. 
After you have the two panels of stripes you will pick up 51 stitches along the two edges to join the strips, and make a mitered square. Repeat for the other end of the two panels. 
Then the bottom section comes next. Pick up stitches along the edge of the center section. The stitches will be 135 for each side. Knit 25 ridges for the bottom section. Then join with mitered squares. 
Next comes the neck section. Count 25 ridges from the middle of the front, and pick up stitches all the way around to the front again, ending 25 ridges from the center. Knit with decreases in the center back, just as you would with a mitered square. 
Finally pick up stitches on the two edges of the neck section, 51stitches total and make a mitered square. The bottom of the square will have to be sewn to the center front. 
This is very easy if you are familiar with picking up stitches, and counting ridges. If you have any questions, please email me and I'll help.

11 comments:

  1. Oh Melody,
    It's gorgeous! I'm head-over-heels in love with it!! Your artistry is beyond compare!!!
    I look forward to seeing it in person and wearing it in warmth for many years to come!

    -jp from MO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous poncho!! great design and I love the colours, one of these would be ideal for wearing come our Winter in six months time, I must get in touch with you in a few months. In winter I constantly go into the village wearing one of the jackets from you and everyone asks which store they were from!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors on this one......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today this poncho is my favorite so far!! Those colors and the pattern just sing to me in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for that very clear instruction. About how much yarn and what needles did you use to make this poncho? I picked up a half finished project at a thrift store (to unravel) and I'm wondering if the yarn will be enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://www.ravelry.com/projects/Fibermania/poncho has all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Thanks for sharing such a awesome information. I must say very good job.kids changing poncho

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hermoso poncho Felicidades quisiera tejerlo . Bellos colores.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vraiment magnifique, quelles couleurs choisir ? Merci

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing beats the freedom and comfort of a poncho." It's like bringing a warm hug with you wherever you go, adding a touch of relaxed elegance to your style.
    PONCHO

    ReplyDelete