Monday, July 28, 2014

Starting Fresh

Taking Off
Mixed Media collage, 12" square, watercolor paper mounted on cradled panel. $100

Painted and stamped papers, with ink and acrylic paint, drawing, gel medium.
I am particularly interested in composition, pattern, texture and value, with secondary interests in matte vs gloss surfaces. I think of these works as closer to drawing than painting, but of course paint is totally involved. Collage is an additive process, so my concern is careful arrangement of shapes and pattern to satisfy and organize my imagery.
Non-objective imagery allows to the viewer to find their own answers while it affords me the excitement of discovery during the process.

A New Path
Mixed Media collage, 12" square, watercolor paper mounted on cradled panel. $100

Painted and stamped papers, with ink and acrylic paint, drawing, gel medium.

Love Letters
Mixed Media collage, 12" square, watercolor paper mounted on cradled panel. $100


Painted papers, with ink and acrylic paint, drawing, stamping and gel medium
And my work table.




9 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new direction in blogging and art. I've loved your blog for years and am eager to share your new adventures.

    I just am completing a quit using crosses/plus-signs and am intrigued about why I find that particular shape so interesting. I notice you are using it often lately in your projects. Any thoughts about the impact/appealing nature of that form?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the plus is ancient, dating back to pre-Christian times and further. Same with the spiral and circle. And the plus is MORE, or a positive. What's not to like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I love spirals and circles, too, but your observation that the plus is MORE makes me feel really good.

      Delete
  3. Welcome to your new place and ongoing adventures. Thank you for sharing but NEVER feel pressured in doing so! Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice start Mel.....so glad that your staycation gave you a renewed sense of being grounded in your life and excited about a fresh start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been reading your blog for years now and I'm looking forward to following you on your new blog. I like your thoughtful writing and your fabulously detailed photos. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gee....and I was hoping you would have all kinds of pictures of your yummy garden here.....giggling....how do we sign up for this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent new start! I always love a picture of an active workspace, as opposed to the staged artists' studio pics.

    ReplyDelete