Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Kaleidocane

Kaleidocane, is that some new kind of pain medication?
NOPE!
 This is what it is. Actually I think this is called a master cane, which means lots of canes grouped together and used as one. I learned how to do this from several online videos, which is why I am now able to make stuff I couldn't have made when I first saw polymer clay in the 90's. So many things have improved since then. And by improved, I mean, made easier. Softer clay, for one.
I used two 'brain canes'  and a few bulls eye canes, as well as just plain snakes of a color. Anyway, I didn't know what it would turn out to be, I just randomly grouped clay bits and then it turned into this log which I then shaped into a triangular cane.

Here are examples of slices of that cane combined into patterns. Some are six and some are eight slices.

 At this point they are raw clay and ready to be used to make something...but what? Jewelry I guess, but no, wait, wait...How about little bowls?
Here are my first attempts at master canes cut into patterns and applied to glass bowls from the dollar store. At this very moment they are being baked in the oven, for an hour at 250 degrees. I'm hoping they will pop off the glass bowls with little trouble.
 


 These are pretty rough looking on the outside but smooth and better looking on the inside which is where they will be seen, most likely. I will improve my technique from this shaky start.
Here's what a real expert made. Carol Simmons. Dazzling, no? Hers are much smaller, formed over a light bulb. So intricate.
And here are mine, now out of the oven, cooled down and released from the glass bowls. Yay!!!!

6 comments:

  1. I love the little kaleidoscope bowls! My favorite clay things you've shown yet. They're really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm squealing with delight and have already made three more bowls, in the oven now, one on a lightbulb. This is soooo fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are having a great time with this medium.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really neat Melody! Makes me want to go out and buy some clay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gosh these are beautiful, pity they can't be sent over to NZ otherwise I would have loved to purchase one from you!

    ReplyDelete