Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Lotus Blossoms

 Lotus Blossoms, 12x12x 3/4", acrylic paint, collage, ink, graphite, sealed with acrylic varnish. For this piece I decided to get back to drawing, using inspiration from some pictures I saved on Pinterest. I'm getting itchy to garden...already! I made a pencil line drawing of the lotus, painted over it with matte medium and then painted in the color. After it dried, I cut out the image with an art knife and glued it to the yellow green painted canvas. Then I painted in the background shapes, branches and blobs of whatever. As most of my work is non-representational I wanted to keep away from exact representation, and include more of a design-y approach. 
 Here you can see the edge of the cut out paper piece. Why did I do it this way? Well,  I didn't have a plan. I just thought I would try this out on the canvas, maybe cover it up partially or cut it up later and rearrange it. But that didn't happen, and this did. Sometimes you are just in the zone and must keep going until you find out where you end up. 

 Continuing to draw, I added ink details as the final layer.  $150, free shipping. Email me.

And I finished another knit...I love the pullover style of this pattern.



5 comments:

  1. Love the pullover! From one Pug owner to another, can you create one that will not show those puggy hairs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Lotus Blossoms and the knit, beautiful colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Melody, it is worth the wait! I love how the pullover turned out—so beautiful, as did the cardigan style. I’ll feel so elegant wearing them!!! Joan in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this line: "Sometimes you are just in the zone and must keep going until you find out where you end up." So true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the picture and the "collage" technique!! Wow, an experiment that worked and is beautiful....you go girl!

    ReplyDelete