Thursday, October 17, 2019

Bye Bye Bins of Bits

 We are winding down our scrappy projects as we had previously decided to end in November, which (gasp!) is only two weeks away. 
This simple top is made from our leftover four patches paired with white with red dots, aka Dotted Swiss. 
Despite the aim of using up our Original Instigator's stash, we have actually used more of our Downtown member's and my stash, for which we are GRATEFUL. Unfortunately, we still have mega bins of leftovers and one must have intestinal fortitude to decide what to do with them. I am voting for tossing them, but I only have one vote. We meet today and I'll see who I can sway. 
There comes a point where we must face that it is far nicer and easier and more expeditious to start and end with fresh cut fabrics, rather than try to make scraps work into something worthwhile. Those of you who sew clothes are not so distraught over tossing out those scraps which wouldn't work into anything else wearable. So since we are not pioneers out on the vast prairie, and still have mountains of uncut yardage on our shelves, would it be so terrible to say Bye Bye to bins of bits?

11 comments:

  1. Don't toss-donate to someone who hand sews or to a newbie quilter. I am currently going through all my scraps and cutting them into squares, etc-I think it honors the spirit of quilting-of making do and using up. Maybe you could offer bags for cost of postage? I bet you would get some takers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I second what Annie said. Also, some people use scraps of fabric and batting as fillers for dog beds. And so many of us focus on charity work, so getting even scraps for next-to-nothing really helps pay it forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant!
    Shake off the 'guilt police' and do what makes sense to you!
    Fault finding is a cheap shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote you keep working until Nov. 30. After all, November is a full month. Plus the extras you might make would be beautiful donations for Thanksgiving and Christmas charities. Pull on the best of what is still in the bins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Cathy, toss those scraps into a pillowcase, sew it shut and drop off at a vet or Humane Society. Those poor animals will be so grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its funny that you are discussing whether to keep these bins and bins of fabric scraps. I read yesterday that we hang onto far more things than we need and as a consequence instead of motivating us, they become talismans of guilt and shame. This article added that you hold onto things based on hope. But when you dont use the stuff, the items begin to control your freedom and you get stuck in the past instead of moving forward.... I'm off to go clean out my sock drawer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donate to someone......school for art work, etc

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Melody, sometimes you just need to hear/see someone put your roadblocks into words.Your post really hit home.I have been trying to use up all the bits and pieces and I am always going through bins looking for something I know I have. I keep finding more and more odd blocks and I realize all this old stuff is stifling my enjoyment and creativity as well as taking up way too much space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get lots of joy when I go through my scraps and find a piece that will work in a project. Could be because I have one - yes, only one - small drawer of scraps. I pretty much well use up as I go - you know the way you clean as you cook concept? Been quilting 43 years now, and love using everything in my fabric collection - which is extensive, and also gives me great joy. My attitude is everybody has their own style of working, and everybody should do what makes them happy. So nice to see you posting again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have made great inroads to the scraps, and deserve to work with fresh, big pieces again.

    I would like to advocate "recycling." Here, the Salvation Army accepts fiber (any kind) which they sell for the grand price of $.26/pound! I feel totally guilt-free in participating in this cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My little quilting room is over run with scraps at the moment, I have given some to a local charity shop which is run by the Society for the Protection of Animals, I've given some away and I'm just going to mail a small package to an internet pal in the UK. I do agree that there comes a time when we feel the need to cut into our new fabrics but I can't bear to discard all my scraps.

    ReplyDelete