Friday, September 25, 2020

Dollar Tree Solution

Finally, I found a storage solution for the many polymer clay necklaces I made last year. I did a lot of research to find a suitable container, and really none was to be found. So when I was getting a few items at the Dollar Tree I came across these $1 tool racks, and thought...YOU BETCHA! I hung them in my studio after deciding that the light would always be better there than the closet, and since I make the necklaces in the studio, they can go directly there and not get tangled up in a box or even worse, live in a tiny plastic bag.

As usual I hung them without making holes in the wall, using Command hooks, which incidentally brought them out a bit from the wall, which helps the necklaces hang free.
Now...I need a good solution (meaning cheap) for my zillion little earrings, both studs and hooks. Got any ideas? Hmmm?
This is the idea that makes the most sense to me, altho I loved seeing all your great suggestions. Now I just need some of that lacy fabric.

But wait!! I already have this utensil holder!


Final update: I got two ice cube trays at the Dollar Tree for my stud earrings and really fine chains, and they are perfect. Yay! Time to make more earrings.
Thanks for all your great suggestions.






11 comments:

  1. I like to use plastic ice cube trays fro the dollar store for earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend made a frame and stapled chicken wire on it, hung it on the wall for her earrings. Super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a large quilting hoop and put tulle in it and hung it on the wall for my hook earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Screening with a frame around it....you could hang it on a wall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Echoing others: last time I visited my hometown, I admired what both my sister-in-law and a friend had, which was a frame with a sort of mesh behind it. I did a quick search, and there apparently is 1/2" square chicken wire to be had, and you could paint the frame any color(s) you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's called Hardware cloth. I get rolls of it in the garden section at Home Depot. I cut it and use it in my mosaic stepping stones for strength.

      Delete
  6. For studs there are those pill boxes with flaps, ice cube trays of various sizes, there's stuff for storing fishing lures and small containers for beading. For my hooks I bought an acrylic display stand off eBay like you would see in a department store. I find if I display my earrings I not only enjoy them more but it's easier for me to find what I'm looking for when I change them out. Don't know how many you have but you can also use old watercolor paint boxes. Pop out the paints. You can buy empty whole pans for watercolor and put them in just about anything. I put sticky magnetic tape on the bottoms and put them in any empty metal tin I happen to have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This isn't the one I have but it's close..

    https://www.amazon.com/Sooyee-Rotating-Organizer-Necklaces-Piercings/dp/B07ZR7WMYN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1Z40GIXBJWND8&dchild=1&keywords=rotating+earring+holder+stand&qid=1601126662&sprefix=rotating+earring+holder%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNzVZV0tKNFQzUkpDJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDY2NTUzSjI4Tk4yVk1DWkgxJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyOTc5MTFROVVPRVk3UjMzV0Emd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made one from screen wire with a wooden header and footer piece. This is my blog post about it and also making a necklace rack.... https://francesquilts.com/uncategorized/starting-to-relax/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have in the past placed lace around some fabric frames holding fav photos. i hang earrings from the lace (i am pierced person.)
    also mounted a lacy fabric to chop sticks and many more earrings hang there one of which currently pinned by clothes pins to a lamp shade.

    ReplyDelete