Monday, March 15, 2021

Buds!

When we saw this house initially, the day we bought it actually, I saw that we had this magnolia at the end of the driveway. It was September but so mild and rainy that there were actually a few buds at the very tiptop of the tree about to open. I was thrilled that it is the pink flowering variety, Jane. It will be opening all this week, in the rain again, but making me so happy. 
In the background is the growing pile of composted manure where I want the garden guys to make my new flower garden. There are still ten peonies left in the ground that need to be moved here. 27 total plants!!!

 In the back up against the deck is the Redbud, another tree that I love and anticipate opening this week. We planted five redbuds at our first house in TN and I imagine if they survived, they will be blooming next week, always later up on the mountain. So happy to have one this large and mature here in my last TN house. (she says!)

 The first tree in our yard to bloom was what I thought was an apple, but I was WRONG. It is a pear, which right now are in bloom all over the place, especially along the interstate highway. It is like everyone in Chattanooga decided to plant Bradford pears at the same time. Glorious, unless you have pollen allergies. Sorry to those sufferers. 



 The bad part about these trees is that they are very weak and often break off huge limbs and this is our mess. Only part of the tree lives and that one big limb looks like it could be the dying breath of this specimen. Bye bye bye.
 
I will be planting out these lettuces and a basil from Walmart into my porch flower boxes today. Red Sails leaf lettuce, and Romaine. They are hardy enough to withstand a frost or two, but if it is gonna happen, I can bring them inside. Don't want to lose that basil. I do have seeds, but will wait for really warm days to plant those. 
This is a week of anticipation and I will be practicing my patience skills. I am hoping to hear from my deck builder and my garden guys. In the meantime I am feeding my Spring lusts by watching the Youtube videos of Garden Answer. This gal and her husband are unbelievable and vlog almost daily about plants and landscaping and yard stuff. I am exhausted by their energy but it helps me anticipate the fun garden stuff I will be doing, when I have one. eeeoooow!

5 comments:

  1. Yes the pear look as though it needs a severe pruning but at least if if produces pears they will be easy to reach. Have fun planning your new garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it will have fruit. This is not that kind of pear tree. Too bad, tho, since I love love love pears. May have to buy some today, just thinking about it.

      Delete
  2. Big fan of redbuds and pink magnolias too! Looking forward to your gardening adventures in your new place. B. Pears are a nuisance tree - but nobody knew that years ago when they were introduced here. Gorgeous they are, till they start breaking. I have one still standing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing your trees budding and blooming! Gives me some hope too, as it has been very glooming and cold here this week. Too bad about your pear tree, so pretty! And I know there are those who don't like redbud, but I LOVE them! My neighbor has a glorious redbud that blooms right outside my work-from-home desk window. Happy spring, Melody!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay spring! Bring on your garden posts, always an inspiration. In Kentucky Pear trees get a bad rap. Because of exactly what you said. Homeowners planted them for years but not so much anymore. Redbuds are a favorite of mine, always the first to bloom. They are all over the hillsides in E. Ky. Thank you for the YouTube recommendation, I'm going to look it up.
    Rondi
    rondiquilts@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete