Sunday, September 28, 2014

Decorating Uphill


 I put off doing anything in the house until the pups outgrew their puppy behaviors. I am still hoping the end is near. But it seems to be an uphill struggle to keep anything nice from being undone.
EKTORP Chair IKEA The cover is easy to keep clean as it is removable and can be machine washed.
We went to IKEA to get these Ektorp chairs to match our couch, and came home with Poangs instead. We're glad we did. Vanilla leather and no skirts to attract the leg-lifting dogs (bad doggies!) We did get some furry pelts to add a bit of cushy luxury to the seating. Yum.
But I have to cover the Ektorp couch with sheets to keep it clean. While the slipcover is washable, I don't want to do that load daily. That 'carpet' is a plastic outdoor version. Guess why?
 This throw pillow has been dragged into every room. It is Chumley's one true sweetheart and he makes passionate love to it until he drops from exhaustion.

 I have made major mistakes in my furniture purchases over the years and this monster of a red sectional couch is one. When we got it (in like, what, March?) I said if it lasted two years, it will have served its purpose, but it didn't. Tony the little bad doggie chewed the corners of the top cushions until he got the stuffing out. Polyester leather is not the same as real leather, nor did it cost as much. We are keeping the chewed up half and giving away the intact half.
While this may sound wasteful (and it is) I can't let that keep me from trying something else. Facing the fact that I can't buy anything that stays nice forever, is my boulder to push uphill.

7 comments:

  1. Lol! That old mothers' refrain "I can't have anything nice".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dog training may be cheaper. Who would live with peeing dogs in their house?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did it start happening after you moved? You had such a big property before. Maybe the other dogs in the neighborhood are a threat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melody,

    We have pug, he's 6 and his nickname is Piss Head b/c he STILL lifts his leg. I really hope yours grow out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melody,
    I've really been enjoying your recent posts again. Oh, and I happen to love your red sectional! :)

    Becky in Indiana

    ReplyDelete