Saturday, July 15, 2017

Pinwheel Geese Medallion


 Pinwheel Geese Medallion, top, 54" square, and possibly will grow, depending on finding the right fabrics. Machine pieced.
Medallion quilts are so easy and enjoyable to construct because you begin in the middle and grow it outward. First I made the flying geese blocks and carefully sewed them together, joining solid red along the sides. Then I used up the last of my red/orange dots for the outer triangles. A matching orange border followed and then...what?

 Since my geese were pinks and aquas I pulled out my lightest Kaffe fabrics in those colors, plus reds and darks, to use if I could figure out how. I never did. However I did use some hand dyed solids for the four patch bits.

 I love how nice the four patch gradate colors. Solids against the busy patterns is just a must. The main floral strips are just the width of fabric cut to match the finished four patch widths, 4 1/2". I had just enough, and no more! Since I am doing teaching demos at my sister's store, I want to keep reinforcing that even a simple two block quilt like this can be interesting and an easy way to get the most out of your precious fabrics.
 Update: I decided to enlarge the Scrappy Medallion with one more round of pink. It makes the center off center a bit but I don't mind it. If I do start to mind, I can always add another round of dark blue. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how do you find the time to create these wonderful quilts!! Another amazing medallion from you and I love the very different centre setting for the flying geese. Chequerboard corners are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't 'find' the time. I think of studio time as my job and got in there early and start working. Breaking for lunch, doggie walks and perhaps a nap and then right back to work.

    ReplyDelete