Friday, September 4, 2020

Storage A-plenty

Yes, we have no upper cabinets...or bananas. So I was stymied about where to put my myriad spices, until this solution presented itself. I had four of these spice jars from World Market (Cost Plus) and decided to get a dozen more and put all my spices in them to make a neat look. Then I had to find something spice-racklike store them. Mostly the available products were either hokey or had to be wall mounted. I began pinning the ones that might work and made my choice based on a combination of price and the space the thing would take up on my counter. I am so satisfied and it was a surprise that the dozen fit on one shelf and I had room for coffee, teabags and boullion on the bottom. Yay! It only takes up six inches of the counter.

I may not have wall cabinets over the counter, but there are mega amounts of storage on the opposite side. The deeply set fridge is surrounded by equally deep shelving. And on the right is a pantry, which I really love. But wait there's more...

 Around the corner is a second pantry, and I am keeping my boxes, jars and cans in there, while the first one is holding baking pans and baking supplies. 

 Here's the baking stuff. NOT ready for prime time viewing but I will get to that, eventually. Turns out I have somehow collected a gazillion drawer organizers, which are not getting used in the kitchen, so maybe they will find a use in the studio. Altho there are no drawers there to organize. Hmmm. 

 Next to the fridge are my dishes, Cuisinart and Kitchen Aid mixer. On the other side of the fridge the cabinets have nothing but empty lazy-susan turntables on each shelf. What will go there I wonder? I am not much of a stocker-upper (except when it comes to cans of beans, of which I have a dire fear of running out ) so the amount of storage we have is a bit over the top. Still it may be time to transfer things like flour and sugar out of old ice cream tubs and into something a little more permanent.  Or maybe I just need to let time tell me what is unnecessary and what needs to be at my fingertips.




6 comments:

  1. All of that storage area looks more accessible than upper cabinets, especially as we keep shrinking in height as we grow older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course most of us would love to have such a dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curious what a kitchen looks like without upper cabinets.now please post a photo of that. Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vivian, take a look at this pic from the listing:
      https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5710-Edgmon-Rd_Ooltewah_TN_37363_M75709-92015?view=qv

      Delete
  4. Looking good! I have my spice jars in a drawer with their names on the top and I really like it. Easy to see and I even alphabetize them! ;-D I wanted to let you know that you got me hooked on the Monday, Tuesday books. I thought Monday was pretty slow and then I had to stay up all night to finish it. What a twist at the end! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just starting to organize a chest freezer and finding a myriad of uses for the various sizes of those wire baskets used for freezers. I've also bought a few really lovely acrylic organizers for my bedside table. The 4x8 and 4x4 are really handy. I can get 9 nail polish bottles in one. And they stack. Picked up four Sterlite bins, I think for files, and am using those to store some kitchen things and for transporting back and forth to my parents' house. Today I'm making them a lot of chicken pot pies and enchiladas for the freezer so my Mom doesn't have to cook so often. Don't write off anything too soon. I'm finding as I go that something I had that wasn't being used or utilized fully is being repurposed more efficiently.

    Love that spice rack solution.

    And you can hang racks and such on those tile walls. You can use a ceramic drill bit to drill a pilot and then put in a plastic piece like you use for drywall. You just have to make sure you really want it there because when you remove it and pull out the plastic you'll have a hole. I did drill my tile in the bathroom for towel racks and such but I kept to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete