Sunday, September 6, 2020

Setting up the Studio


These shelves are Billys from IKEA and they are about 13 years old and showing some wear, after five moves! But I can still use them and will be filling them with fabric, beads, polymer clay, painted papers for collage, and tools. The studio footprint is quite small and there are too many things I feel I need to have at my fingertips, so that caused a dilemma. What can I eliminate or rehome in the garage or another closet? 
When I go to sleep I focus on a problem for my unconscious mind to figure out and this idea came to me and almost made me get out of bed to see if it worked.

 The bedroom closet could be filled with stuff and that would get it out of the way, but what stuff needed to be in there? 

 The magnificent solution! The sewing machine could go in there! Wha? Well, a while back I blogged that I wouldn't be making any more quilts, but what I should have said was that I wouldn't be making anymore big bed quilts. Instead I will be returning to small fused quilts, which require minimal quilting, so why have the presence of the machine filling up the space? Should I want to tackle some home dec or garment sewing, the machine is quite easy to roll out of the closet and not miss a beat. It is quite usable right where it sits, and even has great overhead lighting in the closet, as well as my rod light. My chair on wheels can be slid into place and I am ready for action.

So onto the next dilemma: I store all my fused fabric in rolls and I need a solution for keeping them that would make it easy to find the fabric I need to use for the current project. In the past I had a whole chest of drawers for the vast amounts of rolls that are in my stash. Now that chest of drawers is being used for Dave's clothes in our bedroom. I certainly don't find working out of these Rubbermaid tubs to be optimal and so what will do the trick for this smaller studio space?
 

 Here's  my solution! A shoe rack of all things. This particular one is just the right size width for my rolls which are 17" wide. I figure I will have a shelf for each color family and several for the few fused prints I do use these days. The rack depth is 11" which corresponds to the depth of the Billys, so it won't stick out and disturb my latent OCD. The height is 57" which is great because I can easily reach the top without a step stool. And I could split it in half and make two shelves systems of four shelves each if I ever desired. 
I have to wait for the rack to be delivered on Wednesday from Amazon, so I'll show the results then. 

Next dilemma: Scraps. 
Solution: Sterlite plastic containers which fit exactly on the Billys 14" wide shelves.
I already had several but realized I needed more of this specific configuration and had to hunt them down, finally finding them at Home Depot. 
Now I realize that this is not going to be of much help to you unless your are also a committed artistic fuser (or an artist that needs to be committed), but since you are riding along with me on this journey, I figure you might want to know what works for me.

5 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you will be making small quilts again---I love to see your colors and designs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much like to see how others maximize their space. So keep sharing!!!! I can't wait to see your small quilts again - they always make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love everything you have shown of the new house. It has been so much fun following you from the big house with lots of landscaping through to this one. And, listening to your adjustment of having neighbors. Are you still going to be able to go to the great church you were attending? Keep posting as you are moving /settling in...we all love to follow your life. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I moved to FL. I realized I needed an enclosed storage place for all my yarn- solution Billy shelves with glass doors! I have stored all my yarn by wt.(lace, fingering, DK, etc) and I can see at a glance what I have available-

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did that exact same thing with a closet in a condo I lived in. I hung a fluorescent light from the upper shelf right over the machine. I've never had as much light since as when I set that up in that closet. And then I could close the doors and it was out of the way. I used a typewriter table but a dedicated table on wheels is even better since you an wheel it out when needed.

    I haven't been heavily into sewing for a while but I still have fabric in a closet using a closet system with shelves and baskets. What I'm doing more now is watercolor and I find I'm starting to collect watercolor blocks, brushes, paint tubes and pallets as well as a few tools like easels, backpacks etc. Yes, some of it should go but not yet. Not until I've had a chance to really test drive it all plein air and decide what works for me and what doesn't. Even so I have a small growing pile of what isn't working and should be passed on.

    I think the Sterite and shoe rack might work for me if it has wheels or there is a way to add wheels. Or something similar with wheels. I'll need to store it in front of the fabric closet so will need to wheel it out if I should need to get in there.

    ReplyDelete