Wednesday, September 9, 2020

The New Stuff


Everything showed up at my doorstep yesterday and now is in place for the blog photos. I must say I decorate on a whim. No dilly dallying with the plan. Find it, buy it and done. I decided this house will be black and white and plenty of red. Of course that has also been the theme for the last three or four houses, so nothing drastic, and the collected pieces are seeming to look new in each place, more or less. This entire room is from IKEA, so no great investment, which is good, since "I can't have anything nice" with the dogs and Dave, my darling spiller. The rug is from that great fashion house, Home Depot and is indoor-outdoor, so I can hose it down when needed. Still it is far from the plastic-y kind I used in the previous house. I hope it vacuums up nicely. But even so, the dog hair will no doubt blend in for a while before it becomes obnoxious. Like 30 minutes. 

Moving on to the kitchen. OK, my beans-in-a-vase  knife holder was only temporary and I found this magnetic bamboo stand on Amazon and it works just great. Both sides hold the knives or steels for sharpening, and even my plastic scissors from the Dollar Tree. Next to it is the kettle I found at Walmart Neighborhood market. Heats up super fast and has blue lights on the element which are kinda sparkly. The water boils of course so a pot of tea is much better than just warmed up water from my old drip coffeepot, which started leaking and had to go. 

And last but far from least, I am just thrilled with the fabric storage shoe rack thingy. It went together OK, but maybe would have been easier with no wine at lunch. 
If you were hoping to see a neat rainbow of rolls, yeah, me too. But this fabric has been stored stuffed into a bin for three years and it is a little squished. Plus, I didn't remember that a lot of my fabric is multicolored and doesn't neatly fit the one color at a time idea. Mixed together are cottons and silks and commercial prints and just looking at this picture, it comes to mind that I might just order another rack and build it up a few more spaces. The leftovers could actually go in the closet for...shoes!
Rug $99, knife holder, $23.59, Farberware kettle $22.99,  shoe rack for fabric, $15.59.



3 comments:

  1. It's a lot easier to make snap decisions when you aren't spending big bucks on the decorating and so much easier to justify changing things if it doesn't all work out. I like your red/black/white scheme and it all does look great together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is looking so nice and homey / cozy!! You are doing a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sewing room is looking beautifully organized. Yes, I think I'd add those extra shoe rack shelves as long as it was still stable.

    ReplyDelete