Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Election Day and Anniversary



 Not only is it Election Day (finally!) but it is also the blogaversary, 16 years! 
So I am giving myself a gift of this rainbow baktus scarf. I dyed this merino sock yarn years ago and had leftovers from the socks I made and gave away. Now it has been knitted, with teeny tiny #2 needles and is just wonderful to wear. So light and bright. It goes with everything, since I really only wear black, white or gray, ha! But with those neutrals, one needs a spot of color. 

In order to make this I used 13 different skeins of yarn, and had lots of fiddly ends to weave in. What a pain. Next version I am making from commercial sock yarn and which will keep the ends to a minimum.

The blog has been a very rewarding endeavor for me over the years, keeping track of events and creations, and I have had so many great exchanges with my readers. Just today I heard from one who had a lovely example of paying it forward. She knew of an elderly lady, Ms Lucy, who was always cold and had seen a scarf I made on the blog that would have been the perfect thing to keep this lady cozy. She told me about it and I sent the scarf to her for her friend. Ms. Lucy used it until she passed away, and just today I got this email:

By the way, it is serving it’s sixth owner as it has kept each warm throughout their last days and then each family lovingly returned it back to me with the request that it be passed on to another to use to keep them warm! I’ve never once asked for it to be returned, it’s been given freely each time with no expectations of getting it back and it continues to come back again and again. 
Thank you Joan for sending me that good news. 
And thank you to all you readers who comment and those who don't. You have made a real difference in my life and I can't imagine all I would have missed had I not found this way to reach you.

8 comments:

  1. Melody, Congratulations on the record for your blog. I don't know when I started reading it, but it was close to the beginning. You've inspired me with your design and colour skills and I've been goaded into trying stuff outside my comfort zone. I've rejoiced with you in the good times - the successful house moves and the creation of wonderful uplifting living spaces. I've worried over house sales, over Dave's health and been inspired by your positivity and willingness to connect with people. Thanks for continuing to blog.

    We in New Zealand look with fear at your Covid figures and pray you keep safe, and of course we're watching the election results with interest - what path America takes on Trade and Aid and Foreign Affairs affects us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Melody, and what a beautiful and uplifting story. I'm sure that many of us "pay it forward", sharing knowledge and inspiration which we have gained by following your blog. Stay safe, love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were one of the pioneers with a quilting blog. I didn't join until 3 years later. I hope you continue to post since we all want to know what you are doing, how the new house is working out, what you will put in a garden next spring, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I have been stalking you for so many years that I feel like you are a personal friend. You have no idea what a profound influence you have been in my life...should I list the ways? First you instilled in me the confidence and the skills to be a fairly good fuser, You taught a lot about all the different kinds of gardening you have done. And then there are all the different room arrangements you have inspired me/us with. You have reminded me to be a better wife/friend to my husband with all the care giving you have shared. I could go on....but these are the highlights. On the other hand I never wanted to try the knitting but always in awe with what you create. So "dear friend" congrats on the continued years of blogging and bringing joy to so many of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have enjoyed your blog for years! Thanks for keeping it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Bloganniversary. I have enjoyed reading your blog over the years as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started reading years ago when you were living outside Chicago. Took classes in North Carolina.
    Keep writing. I'll keep coming to read. Joanne- started out in Chicago and now in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm days late, but I wanted to congradulate you on hitting the big 16!! I have been a subscriber for many years and have loved hearing and seeing your doings--both creative and domestic. Here's to many, many more blogging years.

    ReplyDelete