Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Now here's my plan





 In our vast backyard, we have a lot of green, a down and durty doggie fence, and some figs trees...and this wooden structure, which used to support grape vines, trying to stay alive and not doing a good job of it. (This photo was taken indoors, while standing in our bathtub, since it pouring rain currently). I keep looking at this framework trying to decide how I want to use it. Today it dawned on what I will do and of course it means hauling and constructing a garden bed. 
The dimensions are about 4x16 feet it is in direct sunlight all day long, perfect for tomatoes and peppers. My plan is to construct a concrete block bed in the interior part of the frame and have flowing vines growing up the uprights. 
Long time readers know I have done this before...in several of my previous houses. It is a diy project that I can handle myself. Seriously.This one had a pink dogwood, and two rhododendrons, plus a hydrangea, and all did quite well in this spot.  I've learned alot since doing this 48 foot long bed.


And I just want/need/must make a small veggie bed for necessary tomatoes and peppers. I might even use half of it for asparagus, since I had to leave that crop at my last house. See a pattern here?
OK nothing is going to happen today, since we expect rain to continue, and I have yet to wrangle my pal Charly into using his truck to pick up the blocks and soil. That's next. But O! What joy I feel just thinking about this project.

Here's an update on my peony/Asiatic lily bed. Mulched and the supports are in. I wish you could have seen me struggling with these wire cages. Like wrestling an octopus. But eventually I garnered control and placed 20 of them.
I continue to find more peonies popping up along the sidewalk. They have been hidden by weeds and as I try to expose them I am surprised at how large the clumps are.  I have already given my BFF Patsy a big bin full of them, all from one plant, and weeks ago I gave my sister two and they are planted and doing well. 
NowI see I have ten more to share. I introduced myself to my excellent gardening neighbor two doors down and she is happy to take whatever I can dig up. Phew! I want to move them so that a new front lawn can be installed in my weed patch. 

In other news, my little bleeding heart is coming along nicely. It was one of those roots that came in a bag, $3, from Walmart. I must have bleeding heart plants. And once you have one, they reseed so happily that I am destined to have many, probably to share. At the same time I bought a root of Ostrich ferns and one teeny little fern has unrolled and will have to be moved, since it is where the new front porch will be constructed.
We are so thankful to have this redbud tree in our back yard and it is gloriously in bloom this week. Yay!

4 comments:

  1. Your garden photos inspire me to get out of my PJ's and start planting. I wish I had your sun but am learning what to plant in day-long semi-shade. Your garden will be glorious as have all of your past endeavors. I love your innovations like the cinder block planters. Thank you for sharing your great ideas. Warmest best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That redbud is striking! So many peonies; reminds me of how we once watched some new people move into a house in our rural neighborhood and mow down the many peony shoots over and over. We finally asked them if we could dig them up and take them, to which they easily agreed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm laughing......remembering that you promised (yourself & Dave?) that you wouldn't do any involved gardening...
    Pnce a gardener, always a gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right. But Spring gets me going every time.

    ReplyDelete