Wednesday, August 25, 2021

In search of a method

Collage 8/25/21. monoprinted papers, ink, and paint pens. 8x8" mounted on stretched canvas,
The search for the best way to compose a collage continues. My enthusiasm for fusing paper with Wonder-under was short lived. After one day my composition began to bubble and pucker and my heart sank. So I got out my iron to smooth out the surface and that made it worse. So nevermind. For this piece I coated the back of all my papers with matte medium, let it dry and then constructed my design on the release paper from the W-U and protected the surface with a teflon cover sheet. When I was happy with the design, I was able to peel it easily off the release paper and work into it with ink, and paint and then using matte medium again, mount it onto an 8x8" stretched canvas. Phew!I think at last I have found the method I will use...I hope!


4 comments:

  1. I use paper in my collage and use the lightest weight heat 'n bond with no problem.  I usually fuse an entire sheet of my painted/stemcil/etc. papers.  Then I can cut shapes i need.  I fuse onto batting or fleece.


    Robbie

    https://robbiespawprints.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have been trying to make my collages without a substrate, and make them entirely on something that doesn't become part of the finished piece. I want the flexibility of removing or adding parts, and then mounting the piece on a wood panel or stretched canvas. This piece did just that. The collage is just one layer and is flat as can be, which is also my aim.

      Delete
  2. Sorry, Melody, but I'm confused. Why does the dry medium on the back of your papers stick to the W-U release paper? And what is the teflon sheet protecting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The medium does NOT stick to the release paper, just to the adjacent piece of the collage.Paint to medium, medium to paint.It's all glue really. The teflon sheet is just to prevent the edges from getting stuck to my iron! And it holds the heat better as I secure the entire surface layer onto the substrate.

      Delete