Monday, August 23, 2021

Paper, Paint and Fusing



Stripes #1
Gelli printed papers, mounted on painted
10x10" wood panel. Image is 8" square.


This morning I got all excited about making some painted papers using my smaller gelli printing plates. I used the 3x5" and the 5x7" plates, and printed a bunch of surfaces with stamps, stencils and string. Then I trimmed off all the borders and got out my bolt of Wonder-Under and fused just the smaller 3x5" papers, butted together in a line, not overlapping. I was trying this idea to get away from using glues which often resulted in the papers buckling or bubbling. Plus I didn't want to have to paste my papers onto a base or matrix, making the collage stiffer and usually causing warping, which would have to be dealt with later.
So with fusing, I could construct my design onto the release paper of the Wonder-Under and then peel the whole composition off when I finished my design. This worked just great and I am thrilled. 
After completing the design I just mounted the collage directly onto a painted wood panel and used my iron to secure it permanently. 

1 comment:

  1. So darn clever!! This method has to make a better end piece and sounds pretty simple to do. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete