Thursday, January 18, 2024

New Doors Today!

 Hurray, today they promised to install our new front and back doors. We were scheduled to have them in by February 1st, but suddenly yesterday Lowes called to say there was a cancellation and we got moved up to today. That rug is supposedly keeping out the cold from the big gap at the bottom. Not working very well of course.
In order to make room for the workers, I moved my living room chairs away from this area to the other side of the room. 

 I squished all the chairs together and formed a new seating arrangement which imho is pretty sweet. This is a tiny space, but that only makes it more cozy, I'm telling myself. You know it's just me and Dave that have to live here, so who's to complain.

 Moving the chairs meant that my dining space had to move too, which was easy to do. I was happy to have an outlet under that table to plug in a small lamp so that we could see what we are eating, without having to turn on the blazingly bright overhead lights. I did just get a dimmer switch and new ceiling lights will be installed when the all new whole house wiring will be done. That also got postponed to next week.

 We endured a cold snap, down to 9 degrees at 8am, and this was how cold it was in my kitchen. Brrrr. But of course it was nicer later in the day and today we will be lots warmer, maybe even have some rain.
Under the heading "I never learn" I am thinking again about garden stuff. I found myself revisiting previous gardens that Dave and I constructed, when we were much younger and more fit. 

The last time we lived in downtown Chattanooga I devised a small bed, accompanied by galvanized tubs and ceramic planters. This size makes sense for this current house. Just a bit of a garden, easy to water and no weeds to annoy me. I have had really big gardens in the past, like this:



Now I feel I need just a little basil, sage, scallions, green beans, peppers and tomatoes of course. Flowers like zinnias, nasturtiums, petunias, begonias would be nice too. I already have window boxes...we'll see what happens when March rolls around. 


3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new doors being installed early. All new wiring is a good idea given you've already had the electrician out twice but bummer it is delayed. I'm still trying to get my front fence mended. Welder has been out twice and still not done so I'm calling someone else. I am not convinced this guy knows what he is doing.

    If it is only you and Dave why not get rid of two of the living room chairs? You only have seating for two for dining, why not the same in the living room. do you really need four chairs? I like that spot for the table. It is nice to have a light on the table for all the reasons you mention. Also a dimmer for the ceiling lights when the wiring is done.

    Did you give up all of your beautiful blue glazed pots? I loved those pots. You have that small planter in the carport for herbs for the kitchen. Those two areas flanking the front porch could accommodate two galvanized troughs big enough for vegetables. A nice pot or two on the porch for color and that isn't too much to maintain.

    I didn't think you could quit gardening cold turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for the four chairs, I do entertain my sister and her husband, daughter and her boyfriend, so I like to give them a place to sit.
    And the planter in the carport is going to have hosta and begonia, as it never really gets much sun. I will have herbs and flowers on the front porch window boxes (they fit over the railing) but still want something a little bigger in the back of the house, green beans, tomatoes etc. I gave some of my blue pots to the new owner of the house before the last one, and the smaller blue pots went to my friend Patsy. The house faces east and of course behind the house is west and a perfect spot with a water faucet, so I am thinking of starting small and see where that may lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent plan. Didn't realize how the house faced. The Hostas and Begonias sound lovely. Not sure I could get by without some tomatoes and basil at the very least.

      I didn't see any back door to the back yard. Good that there is at least a hose bib.

      Delete