Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Accidental Curry

I wasn't planning on cooking. I was just gonna clean up the kitchen, but I was hungry and it was nearly lunchtime, so as I loaded the dishwasher, I found a few ingredients that I wanted to use, and began to cook.
 
In a large saucepan with melted butter, I sauteed onion, celery, red and green pepper, a frozen mirepoix from the grocery that I always keep on hand. As this sizzled, in went about 1/2 cup of basmati rice, adding a bit more butter to coat. 
Then I thought...do I still have any curry powder? 
Eventually I did find it, and added about two heaping tablespoons to the 'mirepoix' already cooking. Yeah, that was alot. 
When everything was properly toasted, I poured in hot water, and a big fat dollop of Better than Boullion chicken flavoring. 

As the rice cooked, I opened the package of mixed berries, which includes golden raisins, cranberries and cherries. About a half cup was added to the bubbling rice, and began to get plumped. Then in went a good half cup of coconut flakes. 

When the rice was finished I added about three tablespoons of peanut butter, and the zest and juice of a fresh lime, and a cup of chopped leftover roasted turkey breast from the weekend.
 For freshness and crunch, I cored and chopped a honeycrisp apple and added it to the pan. I wish I had some cilantro, but no gots, so to finish the dish, I topped it with a good handful of honey roasted peanuts. Green onions would have been nice to add, but I forgot I had them. Next time...
It's freezzzzzing cold here and I am wishing so hard that I had gotten my new front and back doors when the weather was nice. Duh. The gap at the bottom is covered with rugs, but not doing much to keep out the cold. 66 degrees in the living room isn't deadly, but still. O well. We have the space heaters if we really need them. Mustn't grumble.

1 comment: