Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Problem and Solution

 This is the 'flower bed' on the left side of my front porch. It has two green plastic covers. One says it's for irrigation, which I don't have and the other says sewer. I can tell that there had been some water issues before, because my front yard had a raised area from here to the curb, where it meets another sewing and storm drain. I didn't know what to do with this spot. I didn't want to plant anything in here that might interfere with the stuff underground, and it is bumpy and hilly and just not conducive for anything other than weeds. 
But then I got this idea out of the blue. 

I went to Lowe's online and ordered some no dig fence panels.
I've had these before in black metal, and we installed them in our back yard for a doggie fence. But I wanted white, and luckily my local Lowe's had 7 in stock. I only needed four. I had to wait to install this fence until the rain stopped, and I got it all finished in less than 30 minutes. It is more obvious in this photo how uneven the ground is at the base of this fencing, so I had to make tiny adjustments to make the crossbeams line up evenly. I got it pretty close.
 I went aroun the side with the last panel and it left me just enough space to squeeze in between the drainpipe and the fence. But if I wanted to, I could just pull the stake out and then that panel swings open easily. I'll need to get in there to turn on the faucet when I need to water. 

Here's how it looks from the street. Neato, right? I'm considering a trio of flower pots behind the fence with plants that will peek through the slats and soften the look, further hiding the stuff behind it. I may add some pots in the left front of the porch too, to hide that uneven concrete base. 
OK, I'm satisfied with this solution and it can be crossed off my to-do list. 

4 comments:

  1. A very, very pretty little flower garden. I love it. You are a real artist! In all respects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great solution. Why don't you plant some of those elephant ear bulbs in that fence area near the porch? They'll be big to hide stuff but you can easily get in there and move them out of the way should you even need to get at those two green things. They'd also help disguise the unevenness. Then you don't have to deal with returning them. You can put the pots on the other side under the living room window. You can get a short length of hose and one of those add on faucets so you don't have to get into the fenced area to turn the water on and off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the elephant ears. I can see those working for me, growing above and through the slats. I have other plans for under the living room window...stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melody, I have loved every house and garden you’ve shared with us over these many years. Thank you so very, very much. Blessings to you and Dave!

    ReplyDelete