Thursday, July 4, 2024

One Yard Top, sorta

 I got inspired by this DIY pattern I saw on Pinterest.The tops I've been making or plan to make, all have longer sleeves, but it is a hot summer and where are my lightweight short sleeved blouses? I have a nice piece of Kaffe Fassett fabric, which is 'too small to use' at 46"and too large to toss. I could draft this pattern but would have to add sleeves of some kind to obscure my old lady arms, as a public service. 

So I went for this pattern which has been a stalwart for long sleeved tops (I had to fake the long sleeves, since the pattern didn't include them) but I decided if I could squeeze those short sleeves out of this skimpy bit of fabric I want to use, it could work. 

Laying out the pattern, I had just enough room for those short cap sleeves in the picture, but not enough for facings and so I would substitute bias tape from the scraps. The length was definitely going to be too short, but I forged ahead anyway, figuring I would try this on and figure out a solution later. 

Here's the resulting top. I added bias tape and a tiny bit of gathering at the sleeve hem as the cap was too flared. But the length solution was to insert a 2"wide strip of solid teal and then attach a final border after that. It worked! The length hits at just the right spot and the bodice is flared enough to not be grabby or difficult to pull over my shoulders.  And it actually looks nice on. Phew. This looks like a t-shirt and I am sure it would also work in a knit. That teal strip is leftover from my latest pair of expandomatic pants.
 Here they are and below are terrible shots of the ensemble, meant for fall wear.
Of course I will wear this little top with those pants sooner than September.

It's always shocking to see myself looking like a grandma, but it beats the alternative. 


3 comments:

  1. well done, You look lovely, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent solution. Better to keep repurposing those old, stalwart patterns you know fit and then tweak. I can't wear those flat, dartless patterns. I am too robust in the bust. I am fine with t-shirts which makes me consider a serger, still after all these decades. But I have no more place to set one up in my sewing room. I already have two sewing machines, one in a cabinet and one on a repurposed desk. The only other place is the desk where I have all of my watercolors and that's not happening.

    You are doing what I have started to do. Only make clothes in a color group so they all go with each other. and it's the same one I have chosen. I have teal, blue and purple pants with like tops with accents in the pink to purple and green to teal/blue range. Everything goes with everything. And I have jewelry to accent solids.

    ReplyDelete