Thursday, July 23, 2026

#12 By Jove!

 By Jove! I think she's got it! 
It's true, I've cracked the code, learned the trick, found my way and I am so happy and relieved. 
Here's the short version...I rewatched the colorwork tutorial (Summer Lee again) and this time I noticed one teeny little clue. Insert a stitch marker at the beginning of the round! Simple pimple and what a huge difference it makes. I never got lost on the pattern and everything lined up where it should. 
 I got so excited I had to try on the first sock as soon as I steamed it, still warm!
 Of course this isn't the most intricate pattern, but still, I already have ideas for more chevron designs in multiple colors. To make it really clear for myself I followed the pattern exactly and used the suggested colors. That may have been the most difficult for a maverick like myself. My confidence grew tho, so I am glad for once that following the pattern was the right thing to do to really learn the technique. As soon as the colorwork part was finished, I changed the leg to ribbing, and made the foot another color...and O, I discovered a new heel to try.
 This is the Dutch Square Heel in garter stitch. Very fast and easy and so squishy to wear. I followed the pattern but it was so intuitive that I didn't have to look at the directions at all for the second sock. 
 Here it is after blocking. It really cups the foot so nicely and is springy and squishy, which I just love.
So I learned two techniques which I know I will use over and over again. My own designs to follow!


64 stitches, needles #1 and #2, merino and nylon yarns. Lopi sock pattern from Summer Lee.





1 comment: