then I painted the design on graph paper with markers, matching the yarn colors I would use.
I planned to try to knit a bit tighter and that worked. I also wanted to refine the Dutch garter stitch heel and that also worked.
In between dyeing yarn, I took a sitting break and knit these. That worked too. As I age I can no longer steamroll ahead on projects and have learned that I can still get stuff done, even if I rest for several hours in between. It is humbling.
The changes I made on the heel pleased me and I am so happy to have found this technique. It feels so great on the foot.
I managed to tighten my gauge and the final product looks neater. Summer Lee, my guru of sock knitting advises knitting many socks with the aim of refining and tightening up stitch count, for a better fit, wear, and appearance. When I tried these on for the first time, I was so in love with the feel on my feet, like mink gloves. Marybeth R.July 27, 2026 at 10:10 AM
How did you wring out the water without the strands sticking together? What temperature did use for the microwave? I would have thought that the plastic bag would have melted....buy at 81yo I still don't understand all there is to know about microwaves.
My reply: the strands of yarn are not sticky, so there is no problem with them sticking together. However I am dyeing Superwash merino, which is treated to that it won't felt, and the fibers are smoothed out in that process. I used the full strength setting on the microwave, but the wool inside the plastic trash bag is really loaded with water which helps.

