Friday, March 22, 2019

Quilting the Tablecloth

Here's my sister's lovely find from an estate sale. Hand embroidered and appliqued with cut work too! She got this gorgeous linen textile for only $12!  It's been sitting at my house waiting for me to quilt it for months, and finally I acquiesced. Brooke ordered bamboo batting and some really nice 108" wide cotton backing fabric and I basted the top with pins and jumped right into the center.

 It was like riding a bike, altho I did have to unpick a few tentative stitches at first, but then it was smooth sailing. White is so forgiving. FYI, the handwork done by some Chinese person/s is so perfect and so sad at the same time. What a shame to undervalue this splendid artistry.

 I have a twin bed and put on the quilt to see how it fit. Plenty of drape, and lots of extra at the top for a pillow tuck, but it will never see my doggie's feet. I made sure of that.

 I took it to the church quilting room for final photography, because we have a huge wall and great lighting and the quilt was wider than the pin up wall. which is 96". Wow!

 So Brooke is trying to decide whether to follow through in selling it or keeping it. She wants $500 or best offer for it. If you are interested or care to make an offer, email me.

9 comments:

  1. The quilt is absolutely beautiful, and you did a great job on the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I had a use for it..... it is beautiful. Have a half dozen so so tablecloths in the grandmother trunk.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great find! Your quilting is fabulous!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you don't mind, could you please let me know what type of thread you used to quilt this project?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used a cotton thread, probably 50 wt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a hand cross stitched tablecloth from a family member and have always wanted to quilt it too. You have given me some motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see one of your matchstick quilts at the Quilts Inc Show in Rosemont this weekend. Always intrigued by that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just beautiful! I am inspired to find all of my grandmothers and great grandmothers hand sewing and letting it see the light of day again. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete