Saturday, January 27, 2024

Garden Dreaming

Well, that's not very inspiring, eh? 
But I am thinking these bins will work for my tiny new garden. I have tried all sorts of container gardens but I will not go crazy again like we did here. 




And I definitely won't be hauling in concrete blocks, which work great but become difficult to get rid of when I have lost interest or have to move house again.

 I don't want to dig, or bring in a truckload of soil, or build raised beds, but I gotta have a few plants and some dirt, and these plastic bins are recycleable if I lose interest. I wish I could get those white round tubs again, like in the second picture. But the rectangular bins are more efficient, can be lined up next to each other and I know holes are easy to drill for drainage. I plan to lay down a tarp, secured with steel pins, to make it walkable, and ant deterring. Then line up about four bins near the faucet and fill them with good planting medium. The area behind the house near the faucet is quite flat, south facing and very sunny all day. I'll set up my lawn chairs on the tarp and bask in the early morning sun. Yesterday seven of my neighbor's chickens were in our yard, so I have a ready audience for scraps and overripe tomatoes.
Because they are 18" high, I can sit and tend them without having to stoop over. I'll plant basil, tomatoes, lettuce early followed by peppers, and green beans. One bin will have zucchini and another will have butternut squash. One more will have sage, parsley, dill and scallions. Instant garden! 

9 comments:

  1. I think i will do this too. What kind, name brand of good planting medium are you getting? Also what kind of fertilizer, how often will you use? I never planted in containers before. Thank you.
    Ursula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ursula, I will look for a good planting medium when Lowe's or Home Depot bring them out in the Spring. I do like mushroom compost if I can find it. Or Black Cow Manure. Pricey but worth it. I buy slow release fertilizer granules and mix it in with the soil when I fill the bins. I try to do this in the beginning of every season. But since this post, I did a bit more internet searching and found these grow bags which I may use instead of the plastic bins. https://www.247garden.com/247p-fp-100s.html

      Delete
    2. Oh those grow bags are interesting. I really shouldn't be thinking about expanding my garden... it is already bigger than I should be dealing with... but those bags would be great for some herbs and maybe a couple of tomato plants. Thanks for the idea and the link... ps... happy to see you blogging again. I too have returned to my blog and I'm enjoying it.

      Delete
  2. I do like that pop of color. Being small makes them easy to rearrange and being near the hose bib convenient. Nice variety but...no flowers? Not even one geranium? I get the height thing. My raised beds in the front yard are 18 inches. I had planned on putting a board across the tops like a frame so that I could comfortably sit on them. They are only 4 feet wide so I can easily reach to the middle. So far it has worked out great. I have mine on a drip system with a timer. If your bins are that close to the hose bib and you have nothing else to water, you could easily attach a timer and some drip line to it and they would water themselves. Even less work.

    Free roaming chickens, eh? I'd make friends with that neighbor. You might get some free eggs with that many chickens laying. Who can eat 7 eggs a day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I always plan on less and somehow the garden grows when I find bargains, which I usually do. Lowe's always has stuff reduced for clearance when it only needs a good watering, so I bring it home and before long I have more than I planned on having. Yes, flowers will happen.
      As for watering, I like to 'visit' the garden in the morning which coincides with walking the dog in the yard, so I will water then and have a cuppa and enjoy the progress.

      Delete
  3. I’ve followed you for years and I always had a virtual garden through you. Thank you. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Melody!
    Prince Tony a dog? Do you only have one dog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I was not blogging, my dearest darling Tony dog developed cancers on his liver and had to be put down. I am still grieving over him. Tony was the sweetest most affectionate little rascal ever. I am convinced by this pain that Chum is our last dog and no more pets after he goes.

      Delete
    2. I'm really sorry! He was a cute little dog. You gave him a very nice life.

      Delete