Friday, January 26, 2024

Studio Reveal

These are not pictures of my studio. I grabbed these off Pinterest. I have no idea who they belong to, 
but I feel like they are a glorious fantasyland compared to my real life studio. I've had some nice (functional) studios in all my houses, but they were more like workshops not magazine pages.  Are these people in the quilt business? Who knows, but I'm guessing from all the professionals that I have known, these are hobby rooms. More power to them! I would love to have had spaces like these, but here's my reality. 




I share my studio with the dog and Dave. 
 
They wanna be where I am, which is a good thing. I wanna be where my stuff is, so we are all together all the time. The studio has become a family room.

My corner. The 6-bin cubby contains my entire fabric collection. Don't laugh, it is packed solid. On top is the dog treat collection, plus puppy pad storage. 
The little table holds my knitting and laptop, very efficiently. My cozy chair and mismatched ottoman are working for now. I have good lighting and a shawl on the chair back in case I get chilly. Another side table holds the remote, my tea, tissues and note books.

My sewing machine and serger, covered in hopes of someday being used, are currently awaiting a working electrical outlet. Yep, they are not even capable of being used until the whole house gets rewired next week (I hope). This is where the Billys were situated. So I gained some open space and will be able to sew soon.
There is another table to bring out when I need it, so that the serger won't be in the way or can be used concurrently with the sewing machine. 
The padded worktable on bed risers is tucked into the corner and houses all the rolling supply units, plus that additional table which is needed when I actually get to sew or paint. Mostly it is an ironing base at the moment. 
The dog's bed is on the floor, composed of a quilt sandwiched between two throw rugs. Chumley thrashes about on them and spreads them all over the room before choosing one to sleep on for most of the day. He has to have a puppy pad on the floor at all times, whether he can find it or not, being blind, and often sleeps just on it. 
The TV is here because there is no place in the rest of the house where we can watch it together, as Dave can't work his remote without help and willingly watches whatever I want, while snoozing in his chair. 


So if and when I get back to sewing, I doubt the room will remain as stoically empty as it seems here. It's not glamorous, by any stretch of the imagination, but then again, I don't need it to be. 

Yesterday's dilemma of finding places to put the leftover stuff resulted in a bigger cleanout than expected. I found drawers that contained items that got tossed and thus gave me room to keep a few of the items I did need. Turns out I even have emptied a few drawers completely and don't need to buy any more storage units. Yay!

3 comments:

  1. You inspire me. I Have SO many things I need to find new homes for. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I thought that first photo was so you. But I do think your craft room is better. That top photo is just too organized for creativity and who has a chandelier in their sewing room? That room must be 12 by 16. I like the rag rug in the second photo but would never use a quilt as a rug nor roll my chair over it. The size does seem a little more realistic.

    I think you setup is perfect for you. Dave is there. The dog is there. Everyone is together enjoying each other's company, you've got a big TV and control of the remote and a comfortable place to knit. Who could ask for more. Although I did notice there is a cute little mini fridge in that first photo. That probably comes in handy. You could stick one between your and Dave's chair and it would be like another little side table with benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I think the idea of having a realistic studio is so much nicer than being intimidated by the picture perfect pinterest ones. Realistic studios have other people's needs and dog treats and work in the confines of our homes and are flexible in the and all of it.

    ReplyDelete