Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Minimalizing

Sandy asked:
Hi Mel, I very happy that you have returned to blogging. I was wondering what you do with art supplies you no longer need or want?

I have a huge collection of art supplies, some dating as far back as high school. Some I have removed from these shelves and found closet shelves, or drawers to keep them or the trash bin to eliminate them. 
 I want to get rid of these IKEA Billy shelves completely, as they only invite collecting.

Oil Paint: Tubes, mediums and brushes. I gave an easel and my large canvases to my brother-in-law John before the last move and I am going to ask him if he would like the paint etc to go with all that. He is semi-retired, so he may now have time to dabble. 

Acrylic paint: Tubes that are dried up, or nearly so will easily get trashed, but liquidy ones I will save, if I can find a spot to put them. I have acrylic-only brushes that I will also save.

Watercolor paint: I will save all of these including the papers and brushes, as I do believe I will go back to painting again, and watercolor doesn't take up as much room as oil painting canvases.

Colored Pencils: Keeping the good Prismacolors, but I have a brand new set of watercolor pencils from Arteza which I will gladly find a new home. 



They work perfectly but I never use them and just had to try them out when my sister bought hers. If you are interested, I will send them to you for the cost of the postage.

Paper: O my, I have really good WC paper and not so great cheap-o WC paper. Why? I find it hard to resist a nice white pad of paper. Geesh. I may separate the good from the not so good and give it to our church school kids.

And then there is fabric...
My fused hand dyed fabric is boxed up and lives quietly out of sight in the yarn room. I am not so much a quilt fabric collector, since I mainly use hand dyed cottons for my work. I will go through my fabric and see what is worth keeping, and offer the rest to my sister and my pal Patsy, both sewers/quilters. I don't have much.

Yarn: I will always knit, even when I am old and feeble, unless my hands stop working. But the finished knits are becoming an issue. I found a vest yesterday that I thought would keep Dave warm and made him wear it for pictures. Perhaps you can tell he is not thrilled. So I may frog this item and have the yarn for another project.  Yarn is easy to keep, as I have a room in this house just for it and my big quilts.
Polymer clay: I was all set to get rid of my clay and all the equipment that goes with it, but I found a spot in a closet for it, so I will keep it. But I did decide not to make anymore jewelry, as I have dozens of necklaces and earrings and hardly wear those as it is. I do really like the vessels and other objects that I have made with polymer clay. 




If I didn't have to keep them, I'd make more of these.



Beads: Out with the beads. I think either my sister or Goodwill will get them. I am done with jewelry.

Dyes: I have lots of dye in powdered form, stored in a bin with liquid dye that has leaked all over. I don't want to bother cleaning it up, so it will all have to go. I am done with that part of my life. If I ever want to dye yarn, I have easier options, like food coloring and Kool-Aid. Seriously, it is just as good and permanent as chemical dyes.

Sewing supplies: I will always sew. But I am getting rid of the myriad templates that I collected 'just in case' I wanted to make a traditional design quilt. Yeah, right. 

Plastic bins: O my...I have a ton of these, and plastic bags too. 
Why???? 
OUT!

So even tho I don't see myself leaving this mortal coil of a long time, I do feel the need to do a bit of Swedish Death Cleaning, if only to save my relatives from having to deal with my crap.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mel, I have the same problems as you with my supplies. I gave a lot of my fabric to LInnus but I still have too much. Art supplies are out of control. I guess I will load up the car and head to Goodwill at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shelves are the sort of thing I would move into the garage or attic. In fact I could use a set like those in my garage for my tools, which are sitting in bags on the floor and other surfaces. I'm all for reduce but more for reuse and when I can't repair then I go for recycle. I started watercolor after I retired after an occasional dabble since I was a tween and I am really enjoying it. I have quite the stash now and now that I have finally determined what palettes and brushes I like and use the most, the excess will be donated to the local watercolor society. I keep two sets of pencils. A large Faber Castell watercolor and a large set of Derwent Inktense for use on fabric. I also have a set of Intense blocks for use with brushes, again for fabric. I started buying quality watercolor supplies that first year so don't have a lot of low quality around but enough to fill a bag.

    I have totes of yarn up in the attic waiting for me. I knit and there is some planned for socks and I have always wanted to try an intarsia sweater. But more so I love to crochet, especially Tunisian, and I have books of vintage patterns 50 years old with afghans that I want to make, all with skeins of yarn to make them. I'm still getting my yard and house in order but I think within 5-10 years I will be just crocheting and cooking with occasional yard and garden maintenance. That is my goal.

    I did a lot of beading in high school and college, but with the small seed beads. I did loom, and various hand work stitches. I've kept it all and my go back to it as I still love it. It is simply time consuming. Maybe I'll start up again when I take breaks from the afghans. I also made French beaded flowers and can totally see me doing that again for some of my vintage glass vases when I decorate the house for the seasons. I love fresh flowers but can't grow them out of season.

    I will always sew and have half a dozen sewing machines. I have one closet devoted to sewing with patterns and fabric for future and from past projects. I just "rebought" two patterns that I am sure I have in the attic somewhere but couldn't find so will be starting to sew my own clothes again. It's really the only way to get them to fit properly and I always got compliments on the clothes I made for myself.

    LOL. You're busy getting rid of bins and I am busy buying them to keep everything organized and stored easily.

    I think Dave looks great in that vest and he may come to accept it if he needs a bit extra to keep warm. Keep it handy and if he says he's cold, whip it out and have him wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Melody, so glad you started blog back up, so nice to see your knitting and quilting makes! I do “art class” with my grandkids and would appreciate the watercolor colored pencils for them to use. If they are still available please let me know and I can PayPal you the shipping cost.

    ReplyDelete