Sunday, March 7, 2021

Garden Time Approaches


 This is a tiny example of the non-grass we have in our front yard. Yuck. I want it all to go and then we can start over again from scratch. The shrub is staying however, as it is a gorgeous (I hope) pink Magnolia, which I have wanted all my gardening life. Yay! Still it needs tending and pruning and it will have more glory days to come. The whole front yard will have to be done over, removing the horrid Bermuda grass that is there and replacing it with plantings to make it a lovely garden. The plan keeps evolving in my mind, and we'll see how it transpires, here on the blog in weeks to come.
Part of my plan for the front yard is to have a ground level deck built because this house does not have a front porch. We have had a front porch in every house but one since we moved to Tennessee and so that has to happen here. This photo I found on Pinterest gives you the idea, altho I want mine painted light gray rather than stained. 


While gathering ideas, I saw this example, also on Pinterest:

and that reminded me of our deck in our first house up on the mountain in Palmer TN. I looked up old pics of this deck and here is a bird's eye view.
 Dave and his pal Mike built this on the slope along our pathway and it was glorious. Especially nice was the built in flower boxes all along three sides. The plants really enhanced the use of the deck and we loved seeing them grow all season long, safe from the moles, voles and chipmunks which were eating themselves silly in the other parts of the garden.
The initial plantings look so innocent, but the sweet potato vines got ENORMOUS and cascaded down off the deck into the walkway and overtook everything. I loved it. 
So now I am going to ask my deck builder people to make a deck like this again for me. Why not? You only live once!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how oh how are you going to get rid of the Bermuda? I have more in my garden then in the "grassy" area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really hoping my landscaper guy will bring in a sod lifter or some other machine that will tear it up and remove it completely down to the 'soil' underneath. It's my hope to make a complete start over in the front yard. We also have fire ants and moles, so I am up against several challenges. Grrrrr.

      Delete
    2. see this site for the real 'cure' https://www.crabgrasslawn.com/how-to-kill-bermuda-grass-get-rid-in-lawn/

      Delete
  3. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their WEBSITE www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete