Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Garden Dreaming part deux

 I did it. I ordered grow bags instead of plastic bins. I had grow bags in my last garden and left them in the crawl space when I moved...because I wasn't going to garden again. Yeah, right. But Sunday I noticed that daffodils were sprouting in my front yard, and just like that I was back to wanting a garden. I didn't plant those daffodil bulbs, but the previous gardener did that for me, like a drug pusher, knowing I would get hooked on just a taste of Spring.  So I committed and went online and ordered a bunch of grow bags. One is 100 gallons big. 
 50 inches in diameter and almost a foot deep. (11.8"). This will be my green bean bed. It cost $9.78, but the soil will be a lot more expensive. Is this good economy? Nope, but that's not why I grow green beans. I grow them because I can walk outside, watch them grow, and snap some off and cook them and eat them. I get so happy when I do. You can buy happiness this way. And when those plants are done I can pull them out, toss in some fertilizer and grow a second batch, or even something else, because legumes are nitrogen fixers and actually enrich the soil. 
I only ordered one of these big bags and am already regretting not getting more. I can see strawberries in a bed like this or if I put it in my side yard in front of the house, I can plant flowers in it. Oy. Not too late to order more!



 But I also ordered a bunch of 30 gallon bags. These are great for zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, and butternut squash. Last time I grew butternut squash in a bag and I got about ten huge squash from one bag. I'm not lying. I gave a bunch away.  These are 16.5" deep and 24" in diameter. That's a big surface and lots of root room. 
 
I'll also grow basil and other herbs as well as nasturtiums, for flowers and salads. Maybe one cucumber vine. I always get too many cukes, that is, until vine borer shows up and ruins everything. arrgh. 
There is one thing that worries me. My neighbor has 10 chickens which often fly over the fence into our yard. And there are a bunch of semi-homeless kitties that roam our street. Diggers and peckers can disrupt a garden. But at least I know we have no rabbits or deer. Hopefully these bags will be somewhat of a deterrent to becoming a litter box.
+++++++++


OK I went back and order some more. I can't help myself. The rectangular bed is a foot deep and 2x4" wide. Yay!!!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Temu.
      https://www.temu.com/search_result.html?search_key=gardening%20supplies%20and%20equipment&search_method=shade&refer_page_el_sn=200010&srch_enter_source=top_search_entrance_10005&_x_msgid=211-20240206-08-B-696873920855023616-427-f0g0rhxG&_x_src=mail&refer_page_name=home&refer_page_id=10005_1707228221821_dvqyetndf3&refer_page_sn=10005&_x_sessn_id=07088clq7i&is_back=1

      Delete
  2. LOL. I suspected you wouldn't last and there would be a little something this summer. But I hardly expected so much so soon.

    My seeds from Baker Creek "Rare Seeds" have arrived. I decided not to try germinating seeds that are three years old and just buy some new ones, assorted cool and warm season vegetables. I have a dehydrator and want to start growing and drying my own herbs so I have them year round, either fresh or dried. I haven't done much there but want to expand my options in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting. I'm currently very sad because all my raised garden beds are currently taken apart as part of a large construction project going on at my house. The contractors disassembled them to try to salvage some of the wood I built with them, and I've asked the concrete guys to please try to salvage some of my good soil (so much money and time and hauling, and shoveling in that good soil) so we'll see. I hope I can get them reassembled and filled in a new place in time for this year's garden.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch what they do. I asked the same thing when I had done in my front yard. They piled the good top soil on a tarp, then the horrible clay underneath on top of that. Then when they were through they put the horrible clay back and the nice topsoil there was no room for....they took.

      Delete
  4. So glad you decided to go ahead with gardening again, the grow bags are such a great idea, much less work than coping with garden beds. I always loved seeing your veggies and flowers so I'm hanging on now to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete