Friday, February 9, 2024

NOT thinking ahead, Modular knitting

 I had this idea and just jumped right in, not knowing how much yarn I would need to complete the project. It will be a poncho, if and when I get the rest of the yarn I need. First I sketched it out and then cast on the four triangles that would be the beginning of the piece. Simple. Of course now I have an even better idea. That initial triangle at the top could be a small diamond with side triangles to fill in the space. I know that is hard to imagine but trust me, it will work and look a lot more cohesive. 

Here are the four initial triangles with one border begun. I attached two triangles as I picked up stitches along the bottoms of two of them. Borders will continue on the next edges of two until all are connected.
 Here it is with all four borders knitted. The borders are then joined with diamonds, completing the square. 
 And then folded in half to show how it would be worn. At this point I knew I was onto something new and I could just keep going. The neckline will be smaller than it is here, because I will go back and pick up stitiches around the edge and knit more of a neckline.

Here it is with the second border and four more corner diamonds. I made the second border deeper and the diamonds larger, and will do that again with the third border. 
Now I am faced with not having enough of the contrasting yarn. It is Plymouth Boku colorway 12, aka Jewel Tones or Dusk. I messaged several people on Ravelry who have this yarn to sell, but have yet to hear back from any of them. So it sits on hold. 


I do have other yarns that I could start a second version with, and may just do that adjusting my design as I go. That's what so great about modular knitting. It's like patchwork, and each part is flexible and can be redesigned to make a better product. 






1 comment:

  1. That is fascinating to watch it progress. I hope you either find the yarn you want or the yarn you need, which may not be the same thing. I know a solution will come to you.

    ReplyDelete